Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fight the Good Fight! - Tribute to Rev. Gary McCaleb

Today I had the privilege to attend the retirement reception for a man who has been a mentor to me and who will always be a great friend.  Rev. Gary McCaleb retires this May after 20+ years of ministry at the same church.  Through three years serving under Rev. McCaleb as Youth Pastor and 5 years of friendship I have watched (and learned from) him what it means to be a faithful Shepherd. 

If I had to single out just one thing, amongst many, that he taught me it was what the heart of a Pastor who loves his flock looks like.  He didn't have to sit me down and explain it, he demonstrated it with the way he lead the church and loved the people there. 

Today as I was speaking with him at the reception, I asked him what came next for him.  I expected to hear of plans to travel or a hobby or project that he might want to take up.  None of that was even mentioned, instead he spoke very deeply of a new ministry that he will now have the opportunity to be a part of.  He will now be a part of a ministry that encourages and lifts up Pastors and teaches them how not to neglect the watch-care of their own soul while striving to Shepherd their people.

Once again I am encouraged by the work that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has done in Bro. Gary's heart.  I pray that his example will always be a reminder to me, I pray that God bless him and his wife in this new ministry venture as he seeks to remain faithful to the call to ministry, and I pray that God would continue to work mightily through him to bring the Good News of the Gospel to a lost and dying world.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NASB) - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;  8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment