Friday, May 27, 2011

Pastor's Bookshelf: Before God: The Biblical Doctrine of Prayer by Mike Sarkissian

I realized that I never posted a review on this book after I had written the review of Paul Miller's work on prayer.  I actually completed this book months ago and most recently our church just completed a 17 week Bible study on prayer using this book to guide us through what Scripture teaches on the matter.  

Let me be on record and state that I feel that Mike's book is possibly one of the most important books written on prayer within our generation.  This book is very theological, very sound, and drives the reader back to the Bible to better understand what Jesus taught in the aptly called "Lord's Prayer".  

Mike does a very thorough job of exegeting the Lord's Prayer and unpacking the implications of each petition contained in it.  He also takes on the issues of how we pray, why we pray, and the reason why we should pray 'In Jesus Name'.  If you have not yet read this book, please put it on your list.  I would go into detail about how extensively God has used this book to shape up my own feeble prayer life, but I do not want to drift into an area of boasting as I still have much room for improvement though, by God's grace, my prayer life has improved significantly.

You can pick this up from Mike's Website or Amazon.com.

I am actually such a fan of Mike's work that I would like to get a copy of this book into someone's hands.  I am giving away a copy of this book.  To enter, comment on this post and answer the following question:  What is your largest struggle in maintaining a healthy prayer life and why do you feel that deficiency exists?

To increase your chances of winning you can:
- Re-post this review by posting it to your facebook or creating a link to this blog using the feature below.
- Follow this blog either using Google or Networked Blogs.
- Tweet this link and mention @brojasonh
 
Drawing will be held on July 1, 2011.  Please be sure that I have a way to contact you and that I know you've posted this to facebook or your blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment