Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pastor's Bookshelf: Knowing Scripture by R.C Sproul

"We fail in our duty to study God's Word not so much because it is difficult to understand, not so much because [we feel] it is dull and boring, but because it is work.  Our problem is not a lack of intelligence or a lack of passion.  Our problem is that we are lazy." -- R.C Sproul - "Knowing Scripture", pg.17

I just finished reading this book.  From the on set I have to say that R.C Sproul may in fact be one of most intelligent men of God alive today.  This book is fantastic, although for me at times it was a bit hard to read simply because it presumes a knowledge of theological "technical" terms and at times I found myself dwelling on a particular term for an extra moment before moving on to be sure that I would understand the further explanation and application of that term later on.  It may well have been my own mental limits in this area because I am in no way the plumb-line for intelligence!

That said, this book sets out to accomplish three purposes.  One, explain the need for Scripture.  Two, equip the reader with an overview of hermeneutic principles for studying the Bible.  As an aside I have to say that for a book of only 125 pages the explanations of each step in the interpretation process are incredibly thorough.  Sproul also takes time to explore misconceptions about Bible interpretation as well as common errors in our approach to serious Bible study.  The third purpose is a challenge to students of the Bible to do that which God has called us to do and that is "abide" in His Word.  He challenges readers biblically to study God's Word and also provides tips and recommendations that range from great Greek Dictionaries, Concordances, and the Bible reading plan that he has personally found most helpful.

Everything that he puts forth in this work is designed to point readers to Scripture, to develop a habit of reading Scripture daily, and most of all to see the amazing fulfillment that God has promised for those who abide in His living Word!

Seeing as how I will be beginning a year long reading plan myself starting January 1 (not the recommended one though) this book has been a great encouragement for me.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars and highly recommend it for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment